Join other players on play.universemc.us

[Updated] Staff Application Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Acceptation, May 6, 2019.

1. Acceptation

Helper

Hello, and welcome to guide. Lots of people apply for mod every day. Here, I will help you and give you tips on how to make a good looking application. Please don't copy this :p

Things We Will Not Do
    1. Tell you what to put in your application
    ~I will not tell you word for word what to put in your app. I am not here to make a lie and not speak for yourself. I am making this guide to help you be organized and give you tips.
    2. Make you use this guide
    ~Remember, this is a guide. If you want to stray from it, go ahead. I am not forcing you to use it. If you feel like you want to take a different approach on your app, go ahead :)
    To start off, let's begin with what not to do on your app.

1. Swearing: Swearing makes you look unprofessional. Also, a good mod doesn't say rude, nasty things.

2. Having Bad Grammar: If your app contains bad grammar, you will be called out. Sure, many people aren't perfect when it comes to grammar. However, your app should have decent grammar. Your application should consist of good capitalization and punctuation. Make your app presentable :)

3. Colors: Do not make the colors too bright. Do not put too many colors. I'd say to stick to 1-3 dark-tinted colors. Good, dark colors make your application appealing to the eye.

4. Slack: This is the error in mod applications that I see the most common. People don't even try, and they take about 5 minutes to make their application. Many people who have successful applications have spent hours on their mod applications. Getting the title Helper is not easy, and you're going to have to work for it.

5. Title: You do not want to use a thread title such as give me mod or I want to be a mod. A good title would consist of your name and timezone. It is okay to stray a bit, but don't make it a silly title. I would highly suggest putting your name in the title, though.

6. Argue: I see this in many mod app threads. People will argue and get mad if someone gives them constructive criticism or someone says something that makes them mad. I also see a mod application as a test. A test to see how you react to people giving you criticism. Don't blow up on people if they point out your flaws. Try to fix them.

Tips on writing the application:

1. Intro: An intro helps people get to know you. It tells them about your experience in different servers. I find these nice to read, and they help you learn a bit about the applicant.

2. Qualifications: Back then, there used to be a question in the template asking about your qualifications. I suggest putting your qualifications with "Why do you think you should be a mod?" However, I would still suggest writing a nice paragraph on why you think you should be a mod.

3. Supports: This one is totally up to you. You can make a list of people who support your app, a list for those who don't, and a list for those who are partial supporters. I suggest putting these in spoilers :p

We are moving on to what you should have in your application.

A good app needs to be organized. The organization makes your application more appealing to others. It also makes it easier to read. I will separate this into parts, as organizing cannot be summed up into a few words.

~Space out your app. I would suggest using one line between each section.
    For example,
    Your in-game name: Acceptation
    (Space here)
    Which timezone are you in? GMT

~It looks good when your questions are emphasized. Bolding, underlining, italicizing, and/or coloring the questions is a great idea. I would use them all, but I would pick a few out.
    For example,
    Your in-game name: Accept
    A good app needs to have content oversize. There are some things that need to be left out when making an app. Make sure your application has good, informational content. We would rather have an informative app than a pile of nonsense. This doesn't mean to make an itty bitty app. Make one that explains everything that needs to be explained, without going off-topic.

Reply to the feedback given on your app. It is good to be active in your app. However, do not go constantly bumping it. It is ok to do it every now and then, but doing it hourly is not necessary.

Now, let's get onto applications.

I'm going to make two fake applications. Here is a bad application:
    {Don't copy them}

• Minecraft Username: Acceptation
    • Previous Minecraft Usernames (if applicable): uhhh Acceptation
    • What's your timezone?: est

• Are you staff on any other servers?: idk
    • Do you have access to Discord and a working microphone? If you have discord, please list your full discord name and tag. Example; Example#1234: yes but idk my name
    • Do you have the ability to record Minecraft videos?: yes
    • Do you have a donator rank on any of our game modes?: I think
    2) Where are you most active on the Universe Server?: everywhere
    3) How much time do you have to contribute to the role?: 237862 hours
    4) Have you ever been banned or punished on any server? If so, please include details (if applicable): yes
    5) SCENARIO: Suppose it's your first week of being a Helper and you mute a well-known player. They're arguing and spamming you, constantly telling you to unmute them. What would you do?:
    6) Tell us about a time you made a mistake within the last year? How did you deal with it? What did you learn?: ban them
    7) Do you have any previous server moderation or leadership experience? If not, please explain how you could do as staff even without having any previous experiences. (Minimum 200+ words): yes
    8) If you have any, what hobbies or activities are you involved in outside of Minecraft?: no, I have no life
    9) SCENARIO: You're on a busy game mode as a helper, questions are flying at you rapidly, you can just about keep up. You're getting messaged by 2 different players both asking you to get them a junior moderator for a hacker, someone then messages you on discord telling you that there is someone blasting music in their channel. What do you do?: ban everyone
    10) SCENARIO: You've made an 'incorrect punishment' towards a player and there are 4 players arguing and spamming you saying that it was false. How would you handle it?: mute everyone

Good Bad
    -Followed format -Grammar/spelling mistakes mistakes
    -Stated at least one sentence for each -Lacks a ton detail
    -Has preposterous grammar
    -Extremely sloppy; all over the place; unorganized

This was a bad application. Now let's get to a good one:

• Minecraft Username: Acceptation

• Previous Minecraft Usernames (if applicable):
    None used on this server

• What's your timezone?: My timezone is GMT

• Are you staff on any other servers?: I am not

• Do you have access to Discord and a working microphone? If you have discord, please list your full discord name and tag. Example; Example#1234: Yes I do, Acceptation#8205

• Do you have the ability to record Minecraft videos?:
    I do indeed

• Do you have a donator rank on any of our game modes?:
    Yes, I have Nebula on Jupiter

2) Where are you most active on the Universe Server?:
    I am most active on Factions and Skyblock

3) How much time do you have to contribute to the role?:

Monday - 5 hours
    Tuesday - 3 hours
    Wednesday - 6 hours
    Thursday - 4 hours
    Friday - 7 hours
    Saturday - 8 hours
    Sunday - 6 hours

4) Have you ever been banned or punished on any server? If so, please include details (if applicable):
    I have been punished on here before but it was a great mistake, ever since my punishment I have been more mature and I have taken every advantage I have to show that.

5) SCENARIO: Suppose it's your first week of being a Helper and you mute a well-known player. They're arguing and spamming you, constantly telling you to unmute them. What would you do?:
    Well if the mute is valid then the player would stay muted. If the players continuously harass me or annoy me about there mute they will receive warnings/mutes depending on severity.

6) Tell us about a time you made a mistake within the last year? How did you deal with it? What did you learn?:
    I was demoted from a server for my actions which I fully understand now, I did not react in a good way which I hate because it showed me as an immature person, and it will never happen again.

7) Do you have any previous server moderation or leadership experience? If not, please explain how you could do as staff even without having any previous experiences. (Minimum 200+ words):
    I was a staff member on my brother's server once, it wasn't really popular though, it had about 10 people on per day, I was staff on there for 3 months before resigning because the server was not in a good place and was declining each and every day. Although in the 3 months I was able to help other players out with there issues and help them to the best of my ability. This is why I should become a staff member.

8) If you have any, what hobbies or activities are you involved in outside of Minecraft?:
    I don't have any hobbies unfortunately

9) SCENARIO: You're on a busy game mode as a helper, questions are flying at you rapidly, you can just about keep up. You're getting messaged by 2 different players both asking you to get them a junior moderator for a hacker, someone then messages you on discord telling you that there is someone blasting music in their channel. What do you do?:
    I would first quickly send a pm in staff chats looking to see if a moderator could get on, then tell the players in-game that someone will come and if they don't I'll assist them in a second. Then I will hop on discord and tell the player to stop if they don't further punishment will be taken.

10) SCENARIO: You've made an 'incorrect punishment' towards a player and there are 4 players arguing and spamming you saying that it was false. How would you handle it?
    Well if the punishment is valid, they're staying punished. If the players continue to argue, I'd tell the person to appeal and if they still argue further action will be taken.

11) Why should you become a moderator?

Helpful: I'm definitely someone who is called "overly helpful". When I help players out, they ask me why I'm not a mod! They find it hard to believe I haven't applied. Those are the players who have pushed me to apply.

Humorous: I find that I can be humorous at some points in time. You cannot force someone to do something so I'm asking you to not force me to be humorous

Caring: I care for others when they need to be cared for or nurtured. Sometimes I feel like a dad they never knew I was

Creative: I'm creative in ways such as crafts and arts. I love to draw and create things. Although they don't turn out as expected.

These are just some points that should make me a staff member.

Thanks.

Good Bad
    -Follows the format -Some sentences are vague
    -Follows the rules
    -Gives enough detail
    -Adds a bit of the traits that were said throughout the application
    -Mature!

Here is a couple more pieces of information.

If you are new to UniverseMc, I'd suggest looking at other player's applications to get a feel on how the application process works. Remember, if you copy someone's application, your app will be deleted. Your app should consist of only your work.

I would also suggest reading up on the application rules. If you do not follow them, you will be given consequences.

~~~~

Thanks <3​

OutSounding likes this.
  2. OutSounding

OutSounding Member

Holy jeez this is actually really good o_o

3. Strixii

Strixii Member

Suggestion

On the example for a bad application add "16 nearly 17"

- Strixii

4. Acceptation

Helper

Doesn't really matter, to be honest, it's supposed to be an example of a bad application, with your suggestion it adds more detail I guess? Which I'm not aiming for.

Thanks for the suggestion though.