Join other players on play.universemc.us

Accepted pxlize's Second Staff Application

Discussion in 'Accepted Applications' started by pxlize, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pxlize

pxlize Member

pxlize's Staff Application (Version 2)
    Before we go any further, I had permission from RoboticSavage to use the exact same application, as general immaturity was the reason for my denial (If you don't believe me, I can provide proof of him agreeing). I, however, have improved it drastically, so I don't believe it will come as a problem in the future!

I also improved the color scheme, making the colors possess a more professional aura. I do however have more than two colors for this application, but I don't believe that will be a substantial issue, as the extra colors only have a slight variation to the core two.

One - Simple Information.

Minecraft Username:

pxlize
    (current at the time of writing)

Previous Minecraft Usernames (if applicable):

pxlize (Current IGN. I have only played on UniverseMC with this name.)
    Click here for my NameMC profile for more information about my previous IGNs.

What's your timezone?:

Eastern Standard Time (EST)

14 (current at the time of writing)

Do you have access to Discord and a working microphone? If you have discord, please list your full discord name and tag.

Answer for the former: Yes
    Answer for the latter: Yes, and it's pxlize#4757

Do you have the ability to record Minecraft videos?:

Yes, I use nvidia's capturing software.

Do you have a donator rank on any of our game modes?:

The only ranks that I have (at the time of writing) is Apollo on the Mars dimension, and Emperor on the Neptune dimension.

Two - Elaborate.

ᴏɴᴇ) Where are you most active on the Universe Server?:

I'm usually active on the Mars, and Neptune realms. The single reason for my absence on Jupiter is that I currently don't have a rank.

ᴛᴡᴏ) How much time do you have to contribute to the role?:

(Just a quick preface. Whenever I provide a time below, the timezone will be Eastern Standard. I have to eat dinner for at least an hour on every day of the week, so I will be unable to help between those times.)

Monday - 5 pm thru 7 pm, then 8 pm to about 10:30 pm (around 4
    ½ hours)
    Tuesday - 5 pm thru 7 pm, then 8 pm to about 10:30 pm (around 4½ hours)

Wednesday - 5 pm thru 7 pm, then 8 pm to about 10:30 pm (around 4½ hours)
    Thursday - 5 pm thru 7 pm, then 8 pm to about 10:30 pm (around 4½ hours)

Friday - 5 pm thru 7 pm, then 8 pm to about 11:30 pm (around 5½ hours)

Saturday - 2 pm thru to 7 pm, then 8 pm to about 11:30 pm (at most 8½ hours)
    Sunday - 1 pm thru to 7 pm, then 8 pm to about 10:30 pm (at most 9½ hours)

ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ) Have you ever been banned or punished on any server? If so, please include details (if applicable):

I've been banned on <Server Name> for hacking about 3-4 years ago. I wasn't as smart as I am now (I was testing out Impact on <Server Name> because I was planning to play on 2B2T the following week). I made an appeal and it was accepted after two days.

Another ban I have received was on a now dead server called Imperial Networks for 'Ban Evading', which is true. Referring to the prior paragraph, I was not as smart as I am now, so I thought it would be a good idea to cheat on an alt (very horribly mind you) on KitPvP. I eventually got the alt suspended for hopping and killaura. I then realized my mistake and for some godforsaken reason, I logged on my main, and get banned a minute later. However, I appealed about a year later and got accepted (this happened 3 years ago as well).

The last ban that I remember happened about a month ago. It's definitely my most embarrassing ban (It made me look like a whiney, unprofessional kid). I was perm banned on Mars for DDoS threats. The reason for this was that a player by the name Lol_madcow_Lol (I believe) was abusing the /fix command when it was a bug with three gsets. After I ran away, as he was impossible to defeat, I called him out in the chat, and he just laughed it off. I then said, "If I knew how to, I'd doss you". Someone else alerted an admin (right choice by the way) and got me banned. I bought an appeal a day later. This was yet again a stupid decision on my part, please don't look on this or the other paragraphs and think that's how I act on a regular basis. The semi-stories above happened some time ago and I have changed, however, this happened fairly recently. I will try my best to not be as toxic as I was on that day.

Those were the only bans I remember at the time of writing, I will be sure to add more If I think of them. Below, I will have included some mutes that I have received over my years of playing this game.

I have been muted around 3 times on <Server Name> (give or take, I might've received another mute that I don't know about). The first one that I remember goes as follows: I had just been playing some ranked Skywars and I was on a losing streak. I was becoming pretty annoyed. I had just joined lobby 1 and I saw a player make a comment about 9/11 and the Twin Towers (it wasn't harmful enough to get him muted, however). I was running Labymod at the time so I had access to a whole bunch of emojis. Stupidly, I thought it would be cool to put two emojis, one of a plane, and one of two rectangles next to each other (You can probably tell where this is going). I posted it in chat, and less than a minute later I found myself muted for 3 days. This happened about a year ago, and I have matured a lot in that time. I will not make the same mistakes I had made in the past. The other two times I have been muted on <Server Name> were for 'Media Advertising' (I posted my Discord name and # in the public chat. I guess that's not allowed?). The other mute was a glitch on <Server Name>'s part, the mute continued for another day the second my first one expired.

I've said it before and I will say it again, please don't look at the prior paragraphs and think that's how I act on a regular basis. The stories above were my worst mistakes playing Minecraft, and are not intended to be taken out of context.

ғᴏᴜʀ) SCENARIO: Suppose it's your first week of being a Helper and you mute a well-known player. They're arguing and spamming you, constantly telling you to unmute them. What would you do?:

There would probably be two outcomes of this, if the mute is justified, or unjustified. I am assuming that the writer meant for it to be justified, as they are arguing and spamming me, trying to get me to revoke my punishment.

The first thing I'd do would be to tell them that if the punishment that I afflicted on them was unjust, they should make an appeal on the website, or create or join a support ticket or room. If I cannot reason with them, I'd take myself and the evidence to a higher ranked staff member. I would show them the evidence (I would keep proof of punishments after every ban/mute) and maybe get some help from them. If they did end up making an appeal, I would show another staff the evidence, and hopefully, they'd get the appeal denied (assuming that the mute was just). I'd like to think that I'm fairly unbiased when it comes to decision making of this caliber, so that if he's well-known, or even if he's in the same faction as me doesn't change/alter my decision in the slightest.

ғɪᴠᴇ) Tell us about a time you made a mistake within the last year? How did you deal with it? What did you learn?:

This wasn't exactly a mistake, but it certainly a close call. It's probably one of the worst choices I might've ever made.

I was looking for a Minecon 2016 cape code about five months ago. I was looking casually around on some websites and Discord servers for this code (I didn't realize at the time that they were a lot rarer than I had originally envisioned). I eventually found a seller claiming that he had a 2016 code for $60. My mind was blown, as no one that I ever had seen was selling an account let alone a code for that price. It seemed so good. Too good. We talked on Discord for a while, I assume he was trying to gain my trust (he seemed very convincing then, but I thought it was a little fishy, so I was definitely wary about the entire situation). We eventually agreed on the asking price seeing as it was so absurd, and I decided to buy it tomorrow. Luckily for my sake, I told some of my friends about the purchase. They said it was a 100% scam, and informed me exactly how rare these actually are, and how much they usually sell for.

What I learned from this lesson, is that you should never trust strangers online or even in real life, no matter how trusting and kind they seem to be.

sɪx) Do you have any previous server moderation or leadership experience? If not, please explain how you could do as staff even without having any previous experiences. (Minimum 200+ words):

I had co-owned a factions server in the past with my friend (whom I won't mention right now). It wasn't very successful (it once hit twenty players at its peak) from this experience, I had learned a whole ton of information about plugins, moderation, and disciplinary measures. Eventually, the server closed, due to lack of funding. This server existed about 2 years ago. The same friend and I attempted to rebuild the server, as he had lost the FTP. The server got so close to release, but it never ended up getting finished (my friend actually tried again to create another server, I, however, opted out of owning this server though).

The only real established server that I've been staff on was ZokuMC (although it very sadly never released, it was so close, yet so far). My co-staff on that server told me some valuable information and experience on moderation. I resigned after about 5 separate delays on the release date.

These two opportunities were my only chances of becoming a staff member because I wasn't putting real effort into my applications (definitely not skimping out on this one though, I legitimately want to put real effort into this one. This does not count towards the 200 minimum words by the way).

I know a fair amount about the backend of servers, for the reason stated above. I, unfortunately, know a lot more about PermissionsEx than LuckyPerms (I believe that's the rank plugin you use). However, my strong suit would definitely be on the moderation side of the server. I believe that I am far better suited for managing players, and not developing/fixing plugins.

(Excluding the light grey paragraphs, this question in its entirety adds up to 224 words, you can confirm here.)

sᴇᴠᴇɴ) If you have any, what hobbies or activities are you involved in outside of Minecraft?:

My main hobbies are reading, playing with friends, and mathematics (I love that subject). I do not take part in any sports as of now because I'm homeschooled, and I don't see my friends very often, whom I usually play some form of sport with (I am currently preparing to move to another state where I will have a job).

ᴇɪɢʜᴛ) SCENARIO: You're on a busy game mode as a helper, questions are flying at you rapidly, you can just about keep up. You're getting messaged by 2 different players both asking you to get them a junior moderator for a hacker, someone then messages you on discord telling you that there is someone blasting music in their channel. What do you do?:

In my opinion, by far the best thing you should do in this situation would be to stay calm, to not get panicky and overwhelmed. Try to provide to the player's wishes as methodically as possible. The hackers should take the top priority, so I'd answer the current questions that were flying at me as fast as I can and wait for a break. I would then immediately message one of the players back, tp to the hacker, and decide if he is really cheating (If he is a blatant hacker I'd quickly record proof of him cheating and ban him. If he's a closet cheater, however, I will contact a higher ranked staff member to deal with him, as I am not equipped with the powers for dealing with those types of hackers). I would then message the other person complaining about the hacker, telling them that it will be dealt with. While these events were unfolding, I'd quickly join the discord call, decide if the bot is actually playing earrape. If so, I'd server mute the bot, and clear the queue (depending on the severity of the song, I might kick/ban the troll from the discord).

ɴɪɴᴇ) SCENARIO: You've made an 'incorrect punishment' towards a player and there are 4 players arguing and spamming you saying that it was false. How would you handle it?:

I would first focus on one player who is messaging me (preferably the most competent eg: the co or owner of the faction that they are in). I'd then tell him that if he and his faction thought I made an unjust punishment towards someone to create a support ticket on the website or discord. I'd then proceed to link the website (and the discord if they haven't joined). If they post solid evidence that the victim of this situation was actually not wrong for what they did, I'd apologize profusely (and probably receive a strike for wrongly punishing a player). If they posted sub-par evidence, and make constant excuses about unbanning/muting the player, I would consult a higher staff member about the situation, because I am not equipped with that type of decision-making as a helper. If the staff member asked for proof of punishment, I would show him the screenshot or video of the player breaking the rules (I would keep evidence of everything I punish for on my pc in case of things like this were to happen). Finally, I would go back to my game and private message the faction, telling them that the problem is in the process of being dealt with.

ᴛᴇɴ) Anything else we should know?:

¹ ⁻ I took a multiple month hiatus from PC Minecraft back in 2015, as I kind of lost interest in the game. When I returned, I had realized that I couldn't log on to my account. I checked my email only to find that someone had logged on my account and changed both my email and password. Essentially my account had now been hacked. My password is now extremely secure (it around eighteen characters long, and contains a whole bunch of symbols). It cannot be hacked again unless I give someone the exact login information (with the 2-factor auth).

If you have any suggestions on how I could improve my application, please post a response telling me below! Be sure to read the entire thing before posting though (I can tell if you didn't read it).

~ pxlize

#1 pxlize, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. pxlize

pxlize Member

This comment will contain any edits that I make to the above.

EDIT ONE - Fixed the size of the responses as per request of @PenguinNerd.

EDIT TWO - Cleaned up schedule as per request of @PenguinNerd.

OLD QUESTION IS AS FOLLOWS -

On Monday through Thursday, I can only be active after 5 p.m through to around 7-8 p.m when I have to leave for dinner for around 30 minutes. I can then be online until around 10 p.m. Friday is exactly the same except I might be able to stay up later depending on real-life requirements (To about 11-11:30 p.m usually). On weekends, I can sometimes be online for most of the day (Again, times vary exponentially depending on my real-life issues which I have no control over). All in all, I can usually be online for at least 2 hours on weekdays and at least 4 hours on the weekends.

EDIT THREE - Improved the schedule question as per request of @EasilyStrafed.

EDIT FOUR - Changed application font from Book Antiqua & Trebuchet MS to Tahoma.

EDIT FIVE - Made some general improvements to formatting.

#2 pxlize, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  3. PenguinNerd

PenguinNerd Fluffy Penguin <3

Hello, @pxlize Here are some Suggestions.

Suggestions:
    - Make the font of your responses slightly larger, as I find it difficult to read
    - Become more Globally Active (Forums, Discord, All Server Platforms, and Twitter if applicable)
    - Elaborate your schedule more, as it's very important to have an organized schedule
    - Become slightly more mature, as you've displayed slight immaturity in the past

Best of Luck.
    -Penguin

4. CodeXeno

CodeXeno Member

Hi pxlize,

I have read your application and I have some feedback. Become more active on server and discord and forums and switch between the 3 servers ever so often.. Penguin has also said you have displayed slight immaturity in the past and you should try to become more mature. The application is solid and I love it. Also good thing you have staff experience on servers.

Overall +0
    Good luck!

5. pxlize

pxlize Member

@PenguinNerd Thank you for the advice, I will fix the response size and schedule formatting immediately! However, I am as active as I am able to be on all platforms except twitter, as I hardly ever use my account. I have improved my maturity tenfold in the past week of my denial. I also have been trying to be more interactive with the community by answering their questions.

I will take heed to your opinion though. Thank you!

6. pxlize

pxlize Member

@CodeXeno Thank you for the advice! I am as active as I am able to be on all platforms except twitter, as I hardly ever use my account. As stated above, I have improved my maturity exponentially in the past week, so hopefully, it won't be as big of a problem as before!

Thank you for your opinion!

7. Torque

Torque Member

Hi my name is Torque and I’m here to provide some feedback on your application.
    • Become more globally active
    • As penguin said you should elaborate your schedule more
    • Work on regaining the trust in the community from past incidents
    Thank you for playing UniverseMC have a good day
    -Torque

8. pxlize

pxlize Member

Hi @EasilyStrafed, thank you for your advice!

Right now, I'm trying to become as active as I can on the server as well as the discord / forums.

I did redo the entire question about my schedule, as per Penguin's request. If you think it still needs more elaborating, I'll make another edit, trying to improve it.

I believe I have regained my trust with the community. I think I have proved myself to the staff team regarding that I am a helpful member of the community (I'm trying to word this as best I can without making myself look egotistical). If you are referring to the DDoS threat, that time I did really mess up. I think that would warrant an apology to anyone who cared about such things (eg - the staff team).

Thank you for your input, it helps me a lot!

9. Dnoxal

Dnoxal Network Staff
    Helper

Suggestions
    Become globally active
    Add some more detail

Even though you had a past history, you in the present is not the same as the past.

Good luck

~Tentor

10. CodeXeno

CodeXeno Member

I got to talk to you a while in game and you seem like a really nice guy and you always help out other players in need. +1

11. pxlize

pxlize Member

Hey @Dnoxal, thank you for the advice!

Right now, I'm trying to become as active as I possibly can on the server as well as the discord / forums.

I will attempt to add some more detail to the application, but I'm not going to add unnecessary sentences for the primary purpose of extending the length of any questions.

Thank you for your opinion, it helps me out a bunch!

12. pxlize

pxlize Member

Thank you so much @CodeXeno for your vouch!

I'm making a considerable effort to be as helpful as I can in game. I'm glad that I am actually helping people!

13. CodeXeno

CodeXeno Member

Your welcome, continue this.

14. SourPatchSkidz

I agree with him
    Best of luck!

15. pxlize

pxlize Member

Thank you for your input!

SourPatchSkidz likes this.
  16. Darknetic

Darknetic Member

17. pxlize

pxlize Member

Thank you!

18. RoboticSavage

RoboticSavage Restricted
    Muted

Pending - Congratulations, you have made it through to the next stage. In this stage we will be reviewing you on your activity in-game and on our social media sites.
    Be sure to stay as active as possible and we will review your app again within the next 3-5 days.

Keep mature and professional, use formal grammar when speaking to other players. Withhold a good standard.

Thanks.

19. pxlize

pxlize Member

Thank you for this opportunity! I have improved my maturity from last time and I will be as active as I can.

20. CodeXeno

CodeXeno Member

Congrats on pending!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.