Join other players on play.universemc.us

Interview cattyzombie's Staff Application

Discussion in 'Interview Applications' started by cattyzombie, Nov 21, 2019.

1. cattyzombie

cattyzombie Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreword

Hello! Some of you may (hopefully) remember me, but I was a staff member back in 2018. I have recently rejoined the server and would love to try my hand at being staff once again. This is my application I used for my previous successful application. Fun fact: found that my application was stolen twice!

https://ruinscraft.com/threads/burroweds-staff-application.22608/

https://www.minesaga.org/threads/my-staff-application.23318/

1) Basic Information -

• Username: cattyzombie
    • Timezone: GMT (was FJT)
    • Access to Discord/Microphone: Yes
    • Able to record: Yes, I currently use OBS
    • Current Rank: Solar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Where are you most active on the Universe Server?

I am basically always on Factions! It’s my favourite server and gamemode, I’ve played it for years and really love the platform you guys offer. I understand if I need to be active on the other servers if required by my role and am more than happy to spend more time on the other servers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) How much time do you have to contribute to the role?

The maximum I can dedicate is 2 hours per day as I prioritise my well-being and life outside of Minecraft.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Have you ever been banned or punished on any server? If so, please include details.

No, I've behaved myself so far!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5) SCENARIO: Suppose it's your first week of being a Helper and you mute a well-known player. They're arguing and spamming you, constantly telling you to unmute them. What would you do?

Explain to them they were muted for a reason and remind them that the punishment is temporary. If they keep up the spam I will invite them to Discord to explain further why they were punished and answer any questions they may have regarding their punishment. A well-known player is just as entitled to punishment and their status on the server does not make them exempt.

6) Tell us about a time you made a mistake within the last year? How did you deal with it? What did you learn?

A big mistake I made within the last year was lose my self-control and began to develop a problem with substances which I completely let overwhelm me. I really regret this time as it completely took a hold of my life and ruined a lot of my relationships with partners/friends. Thankfully I was able to access the help that I needed and I have since greatly improved my self-control, as well as building a much stronger support network that has helped me even today. This has taught me that while I can sometimes lack self-control, this is definitely something I have improved recently and I am now seeing so much more positivity and happiness in my life which I am very grateful for.

7) Do you have any previous server moderation or leadership experience?

My most significant role was Sr Mod on the now closed Rising Heroes network. I started out as a helper on the server, with a few months experience on the server already, as well as having built a reputation in the community. Even at this lower helper level, I took a team-leader role and supported my staff team, everyone from helpers to mods: making sure everyone was okay, providing someone to talk to and helping out our newer members of staff, acting as a pillar of our community. As my status in the staff team increased I was able to perform this job better, but I didn’t see it as a job! I consider myself a very caring and compassionate person which is one of the main things I hope to bring to the server. I was able to progress fairly quickly, reaching the Senior Moderator role within a couple of months. This demanded a lot of maturity and responsibility (I was in charge of and held accountable for all staff members below me) which I was more than capable of delivering. This has taught me numerous skills which I still apply to aspects of my real life.

Communication: Frequently talking to my superiors (admins/owners) and relaying information between all staff levels has given me a great deal of experience in using and developing effective communication skills. I have been able to apply this to my interactions with the server’s members, providing an excellent level of consumer service and presentability to represent any server I work for.

Time Management: This is a skill I have learned through trial and error in my role at Rising Heroes. As this was at times quite demanding there had to be a balance between this and other things in my life at the time; the experience I gained helped greatly in organising my time in all areas, but most importantly I am now able to put in as much time as possible for the server while still allowing time for myself and my well-being.

Working under pressure: The server was relatively large which proved quite a challenge but with the full support of our excellent staff we were able to successfully manage the operation until it’s closure in mid-2017 (don’t quote me on that!). There were moments where we were under a lot of pressure, for example there were two occasions where the network was hacked but both incidents were resolved at the hands of our committed staff working together. Like I mentioned in Q9, this is something I really have a grasp on: I am more than capable of stepping up and keeping my cool in stressful situations.

Responsibility: As I mentioned previously my role at Rising Heroes was demanding and taking responsibility wasn’t just a requirement, it was a necessity. This came in many forms, from accepting mistakes to being proactive in the forums and in the server, seeking out problems before they could arise. A massive part of this was to simply accept the responsibility I had and stop blaming others for my actions, which is initially a challenge but really helped me to deliver the best performance and be on top of my game while working for the server. I believe that while basic, this skill is sometimes hard to come by and this is something I hope to help all staff members with.

8) If you have any, what hobbies or activities are you involved in outside of Minecraft?

I love the outdoors! Most of my free time is spent halfway up a mountain or walking through forests (my favourite setting). I love to explore the wilderness and hope to travel in the future with my photography. Walking, climbing, sailing, biking - if it's active, I'm doing it!

9) SCENARIO: You're in a busy lobby as a helper, questions are flying at you rapidly, you can just about keep up. You're getting messaged by 2 different players both asking you to get them a moderator for a hacker, someone then pokes you on Discord telling you that there is someone blasting music in their channel. What do you do?

The key is to prioritise! As a helper I have reduced perms so I would first request assistance with the hacker, gathering footage if I can. While in Discord I would move the spamming player and explain they must be in a music room, as well as seeing if any helpers could hop on to the server and assist with the traffic from other players.

10) SCENARIO: You’ve made an ‘incorrect punishment’ towards a player and there are 4 players arguing and spamming you saying that it was false. How would you handle it?

People make mistakes, and I am not an exception. If I happen to give out a false punishment or someone sees it as such that is my responsibility: the first step is asking all 4 players to come into Discord and talk it out in private, rather than spamming on the main server. When the punishment is shown to be misguided, it will be removed with a sincere apology to the player and a promise that this is not the way we normally operate our server.

11) Anything else we should know?

I’m grateful for the opportunity to apply and if I don’t make the staff team I’ll persevere. Good luck to all other candidates!

2. gankfights

gankfights Member

Fantastic app, best of luck. Havnt seen you much on discord, though.

3. cattyzombie

cattyzombie Member

that's true, i've only recently come back to the server so i hope to change that! hopefully you'll see a lot more of me ;)

4. Zoxide

Zoxide Member

Amazing application, I can’t spot any flaws except activity.

Best of luck
    - Zox

5. 3Cents

3Cents Staff
    Junior Mod

Hey, I do remember being a staff member with you. Hope you do come back.

Good luck,

-3cents

cattyzombie likes this.
  6. Wild_Yogurt

Wild_Yogurt Member

7. 3Cents

3Cents Staff
    Junior Mod

I wanted to add on when you were staff before you were slightly inactive. How will this change now and how will you improve? I've also checked if you were in the UniverseMC discord however, I did not see any messages from recently or anything like that.. I believe when we say activity (forums, in-game and discord)

Good luck,

-3cents

#7 3Cents, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  8. cattyzombie

cattyzombie Member

thanks for the feedback, i have a lot more free time now so i will make sure to keep active and extend this to other servers on the network. i try to keep active on the forums but i find with discord there isn't a lot of room to message or show activity without it looking very forced. i will make an effort to be more active on discord regardless : )

9. mr2f0

mr2f0 Junior Mod
    Junior Mod

Hey there, just wanted to say quick, your app looks amazing. I love the color scheme and how it is laid out. Lots of thought went into that, and I appreciate that. Besides that, all I can recommend is that you work on your activity. Being that you have just come back to universe, I've only started seeing you online for about 2 days. Try your best to work on your global activity (Realms, discord, forums) and help out in chat where you can. You were a good staff (From what I can remember so long ago) and I have no doubt you would make a great fit back into the team.

Best of luck!​

10. Floams

Floams Network Helper
    Helper

Hey! I took a look at your app and I do like it, but I believe there are some things you could do to improve it!

- The scenario side of things. Maybe try adding a little more detail into those sections.

- Some slight spelling errors, but nothing too bad. Maybe run it through a grammar checker and see if there is anything you could change!

- I think I quit during the time you were staff, so I never got to experience you before. I haven't seen you on, but it might just be timezones. I'd work a little on Global Activity!

Other than that, I think your application is amazing.
    Good Luck, Floams.

11. ItsJoes

ItsJoes I just work here
    Management Team Forums Manager Operator

Hello @cattyzombie

After reading your application, I have come to the decision to move your application to our "Interview Stage" Congratulations! Please contact me on Discord to set up an interview time. Thank you

-Joes

12. RichIceBreaker

RichIceBreaker Network Helper
    Helper

13. Kidbitz

Kidbitz Member

14. NaturallyWild

NaturallyWild Member