Join other players on play.universemc.us

Applying for staff 101.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TechnoPat, Sep 12, 2019.

1. TechnoPat

TechnoPat [Former Staff] (I<3Snooker)

In my free time, I'll usually browse the forums and leave comments on staff applications. Here are the most common mistakes and things that I usually see when viewing staff applications.

Number 1: Detail
    The detail is probably one of the most criticized things in staff applications. Allot of the time, I view applications and they simply do not have enough detail. If you want to see how much detail you should have, I'd recommend viewing the accepted applications. Detail is essential to showing effort, and showing excactly why you should be staff!

Number 2: Global activity
    The second most criticized thing I see in staff applications is Global activity. Allot of the times, the player may be active on Minecraft itself, but they are close to nonexistent on the forums page or the discord. These are essential to being staff, as Appeals, tickets, and much more are in discord and the forums (Plus moderating the chat). Make sure you get that global activity when applying for staff!

Number 3: Toxicity/Immaturity
    A thing I see in many staff applications are players that are just outright toxic. They have an excessively reactive behavior, and tend to lash out at anyone who crosses them in any form. As staff, you CANNOT do this! Think as a player, what would happen if a staff member began being toxic or immature? Not only would the players ridicule and chat spam about it, but it would give the staff member a bad reputation, and you are supposed to be a role model as a staff member. Make sure that you are not toxic or immature, or you will be denied even if the application is amazing.

Number 4: Effort
    This is one of the most common things I see, more than any other that is on the list. I click on a staff application, and I see a white worded page that isn't spaced, and an act of congress to read. The responses are no longer than 1-2 sentences, and it's clear that they put no effort into it. If you're going to apply for staff, put a lot of effort into it. Work on criticisms, read all the pinned requirements, guides, formats, and overall make an actually decent application, otherwise, you are showing the team that you simply don't care, and that you don't deserve to have staff.

Number 5: Not reading the Writing Guide / All requirements
    Read the writing guide, and ALL of the requirements, please. These must be read, and provide essential things to your application. A good amount of the time, I see people who don't meet the 1-month requirement or have no color scheme. Please read ALL the pinned posts.

I hope you enjoyed it, and the best of luck on your staff journey!

Tank likes this.
  2. michaelm0de

michaelm0de Network Helper
    Helper

Extremely helpful, especially coming from the mind of a former staff member. Thanks <3

3. TechnoPat

No problem :D

4. Zoxide

Zoxide Member

Very good guide! I agree completely with every point you have stated.

5. TechnoPat

Thank you :)

6. michaelm0de

michaelm0de Network Helper
    Helper

I love that everybody is so keen on helping applicants. Such a sweet community. <3

7. TechnoPat

;O

michaelm0de likes this.
  8. Tank

Tank Resigned Admin, Staff Application Critic
    Resigned

Also, it's always best to have a good color scheme. Like for example, use contrasting colors. If there is like 3+ colors in an application I used to just say that it is hard to read, because it was. It was distracting.

I only bring it up because if this post was an application I would suggest sticking to 2 colors!

The number one thing to applications is definitely just putting in the effort. Nice post.

9. TechnoPat

Thanks tank!

10. Dnoxal

Dnoxal X-Staff

Nice to see that you took your time to write this!